Thursday, August 11, 2011

BBQ Chicken Open Faced Sandwich

I bought a beautiful loaf of french bread at the farmer's market and well, it was just so beautiful I almost didn't want to eat it. Well, I got over that - notice I said almost - and decided to make a good ol'rib sticking sandwich.

Honestly, I didn't really have a final result in mind when I started to put it together (really I just kind of cleaned out the fridge and put it all on this sandwich)! But, my husband loved it, so the end result was a winner! Sometimes the best recipes just sort of create themselves and you just have to go with it and never look back (oh, unless you look back for seconds - then it's ok)


What you need to round up:
1 loaf of french bread

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
(Ok - so the BBQ sauce I used wasn't my favorite - I'm a Sweet Baby Ray's kinda gal)
Chicken broth

4 Tablespoons cream cheese
2 green onions
Red pepper flakes
An appetite!

It's so easy, here we go!

Place chicken breasts in baking dish
Preheat your oven to 375

Pour chicken broth over the breasts until the dish is about an inch full
Pour your 1 cup of BBQ sauce over and spread evenly
Bake in oven for about 25 minutes or until it reaches at least 165 degrees internally

In the meantime ...
Slice that beautiful loaf in half lengthwise

Chop your green onions

Spread 2 Tablespoons of cream cheese on each half of the loaf
Scatter green onions on top of the cream cheese

When your chicken is done - let it cool until it is touchable and chop it into cubes
Also, when your chicken is done - turn the oven up to 400
I know - not a pretty picture - it's just a messy process!

Top the bread with chicken cubes

My tummy is growling ...

Sprinkle red pepper flakes on top

Admire for a minute - then put those babies in the oven!

Bake at 400 for about 5 minutes
Switch the oven to broil and go another 5 minutes or until it gets slightly brown & bubbly
Let it cool for a few minutes - then cut off a hunk and enjoy

It is also really good topped with Baker's Favorite Coleslaw!
Oh yeah - pile it on!

And ... don't make this for a first date because eating it is um ... messy to say the least

No comments:

Post a Comment